Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Assessing Collaborative Learning

Palloff and Pratt discuss several principles to follow in assessing collaborative learning. Besides the instructor ensuring that the expectations are clearly stated, it can be helpful to have the students participate in the grading expectation creation (Palloff and Pratt, 2005). Student involvement in grading criterion encourages ownership of the learning process where the student feels empowered and more in control of their destiny.

4 comments:

  1. Collaborating online is a little more difficult for myself then from collaborating with a F2F group, but it is possible. I don't think the person should be able to opt out of the assignment and work alone because that defeats the purpose of the grading. I do like your idea of having the students be involved in the grading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen,

    I agree that students should be involved in the grading, but I also think they need guidance in assessment. It also depends on the age of the students involved. My online collaboration has been only as a adult learner with lots of assessment experience. But I am not sure that K-12 students would have the same views that I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kellie,
    I don't think students ought to be able to opt out either (although I would like that option sometimes). Students of all ages can gain insight from doing their own grading. Actually, I've noticed that students tend to be harder graders on themselves than me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia,
    All students should be provided with a specific rubric for grading. I would hope that a teacher who is utilizing student self-grading would have the grading challenge match the student level, eg. lower grades=easier grading, higher grades=harder grading. Other terms to use could be more or less challenging grading. In any case, you are absolutly correct in making the point.

    ReplyDelete